Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Isn't It Funny??



The top layout here is one that I am working on for a class / workshop. The bottom layout is one designed by my friend, Erika, and featuring a Lego version of the Titanic. 

We've all talked about how learning the mosaic technique, and making mosaics, changes the way we take photographs.  Well, it also changes the way we shop.  Obviously, Erika and I both saw this Lego paper and though "Mosaic!"  (heck, the potential is BRIGHT as day!)  Yet, we took two totally different approaches to design/layout.

I tried to use a lot of colors and arrange them to make the patterened paper pop!  This is something I do for class layouts at scrapbook stores - I cover all the squares with patterned paper so that pictures can be added in using the paper as a mat only, or the spaces can be left exposed with just the patterned paper showing.  However, upon closer reflection, I think before I take this one "on the road" for a class, I would take out more of the patterned paper and use more lego photos.

Erika used red lego paper and she painstakingly cut the 1/8" segments from between the little 1" squares so that the paper would line up directly with the long horizontal strips across the bottom.  By using only the red paper, she puts a lot more emphasis on the photographs and the title.

Just more proof that while they may seem somehow "formulaic" - mosaics give you so much FREEDOM in design.  How can 10 x 10 1" squares do that?  I don't know, but I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment