Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tuesdays Are for Techniques - Corn Maze Mosaic

Previous Corn Maze Layout


This Year's Corn Maze Layout
Way "back in the day" when I first started scrapbooking, we didn't have any of the cool tools or techniques that have come around in oh, say, the last 20 years.  I was a big fan of patterned paper, as the paper collection that fills my basement will surely attest.  (and die cuts, and ribbon, etc. etc. etc.)

We also used to rely heavily upon borders.  When I went to my first Creative Memories class, I learned how to make borders using paper strips and stickers.  Now, I make my borders using PICTURES.  Of course!  Why didn't I think of that?  It's one more way to add rich detail and texture to my layouts. 

For this layout of pictures from a corn maze, I used close-up shots (4x6 photos) of Indian Corn that I cut into 1" x 5 4/8" strips.  I used one photo for the border on one page, and another photo for the border on the second page.  This border brings a dimension and depth to the corn pictures and ties everything together. 

I also used a top/bottom border on the center picture on the left-side page.  For that border, I used a close-up taken of corn in the maze as we were walking (or should I say running) through. 

For the panoramic on each page, I used a series of about three pictures (6 total) that I mixed together using the "mending the horizon" technique from Tami Potter's "Designing Photo Mosaics" book.  You may recall that this is the same technique I used on my Niagara Falls layout, but it looks a lot different here!  It just thrills me to see how using different photos brings an entirely new context to each page pattern idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment